The flowers on the cake are made from fondant. Let me back up a bit first. I swore off fondant after making my triplet's 3rd birthday cake. The whole pirate themed cake was great in my head but not greatly executed. I haven't brave enough to post pictures of that. The fondant for their cake was difficult to work with and I realized it wasn't me! I had used some of Wilton's fondant and I hopefully won't use it again. It tastes awful!
I then picked up a tub of Fondarific to try and I am in love! It is so easy to work with and tastes yummy! I used this brand of fondant to make the flowers. AmeriColor gel was used to color it and I used Sugarbelle's color chart as a guide.
For the monogram cookies I pre-made the royal icing "B's" by using a template taped to the backside of a cookie sheet then taping wax paper over it. I let them dry for a day or two (it was a bit humid so it took longer). Once the cookies were flooded and just slightly set, I plopped on a "B" and let them dry overnight.
Overall I am please with how they came out and would definitely attempt them again!